Coffee production, as any other agricultural production needs to balance the following items and emphasize on production. @ production A agricultural pest B quality
Approximately 80% of the Brazilian coffee is of natural coffee. The remaining 20% is pulped natural or washed coffee.
Each coffee has different characteristics on its flavor, but high-quality coffee tends to be slightly pulped natural, although natural coffee remains very popular too.
Purification method: differences between natural coffee and pulped natural
Natural coffee is a technique where directly after the selection of the harvested coffee cherries, they are dried in the sun, the skins are removed, and then the raw beans are extracted. It is a traditional method used in Brazil, and Japanese people are very familiar to it.
Natural coffee (Dry process) Method
Pulped Natural Method
This process has received widespread attention in recent years, and consists of a method of extracting the raw beans by taking out the pulp using a machine called pulper just after sorting the harvested coffee cherries, drying, and removing the skin.
The pulper can also remove the immature beans.
For this reason, the bean sorting is more accurate than the natural coffee, resulting in less variation in the cup.
Pulped Natural Method
Searching for the good Brazilian coffee?
In Brazil, there are two export standard for coffee, the No2 - 17/18 and No4/ 5-15/16.
This export standard is based on how many defect beans are mixed, if the presence of defect coffee is low and the bean size is big, this means that this coffee is of high standard. But Brazil has a large number of production region and depending of the region, there are some characteristics.
The flavor varies with the nature of the refinement method described above, but regardless the method, the export standards is also a factor which affect its characteristics (No2- 17/18 and No4/5-15/16).
Brazil's coffee plantations method can vary from a large mechanized farms in the flatland to a small farm to be hand harvested in mountainous terrain.
In the Brazilian plantation, all the coffee tree grow fast because there is no tree to create shade (shade tree), but there is a little problem when we talk about plantation of good coffee.
Coffee tree that remains long hours under the sun, get ripened too quickly.
To make a sweet coffee with high degree of maturity, requires a good balance of cold and warm temperature, and to do so, we need to control the time when the tree will be under the sunlight comes into the picture.
The coffee grown on large plantation of an altitude of 850 to 1200m on a flatland, tends to taste a little flat and neutral.
In contrast, the coffee produced in Brazil in mountainous region where the altitude is higher than the flatland plantation, naturally the sunlight is limited to daylight hours because of the slopes.?
As a result, the fruit can be ripened taking more time in the tree and we can get a sweet and acid bean of high degree of maturity.
Mechanized plantation in flatland
The typical Coffee production in Brazil has been of commercial and premium coffee, which has a flat taste, and easy to be used as a blend coffee.
Coffee of Carmo de Minas?
Coffee plantations in flatland @@Mechanical harvesting
Coffee plantations in Sao Paulo and Minas Serrado.
Carmo de Minas is now the most focused region in Brazil, with mountainous terrain that reminds the farms of Guatemala, Central America, applies hand-harvesting instead of mechanical harvesting, and good emphasis on the quality.
Its coffee is well balanced, has a rich flavor, strong acidity and sweetness, unlikely the common coffee of Brazil.
Most of the farms in there are regularly awarded in the Cup of Excellence, which makes the farmers of other region feel hesitated to join the championship because of the high quality of Carmo de Minas coffee.
Plantations all around the slopes@@@@Minas do Sul and Carmo de Minas coffee plantations
Ripe coffee cherries on the trees. It is also called as gBoiah.
gPeneirah, traditional instrument for bean selection.
There are a lot of Brazilian coffees which is not yet brought to Japan.
Because of the difficult land transport due to the road conditions in Brazil, there are good coffees that are not distributed, like the coffee of Chapada de Minas and the Jacu bird coffee. The Jacu bird coffee is similar to the Kopi Luwak, but instead of a civet, it is a bird who eats the ripest coffee cherries and passing the seeds undigested, then they are collected, properly cleaned and sorted.
"Jacu coffee" does not have the strong acidity coming from the fermentation as "Kopi Luwak", it has a deep taste of a red wine, and its unique flavor is something that I have never ever experienced.
Surprisingly, it is very refined, different from any other coffee I have tasted before.